Terms of Service of Neighbor Storage, Inc.Last Updated – February 7, 2022
BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS OF SERVICE, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF THE PROVISIONS BELOW, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE ARBITRATION PROVISIONS. PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
Key TermsNeighbor Storage, Inc., (hereafter referred to as “Neighbor”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) provides an online platform that connects Hosts who rent Space to Renters (collectively, the “Services”). In this document, the terms “Neighbor”, “we”, “our”, “us” refer to Neighbor Storage, Inc. The terms “Service” or “Services” refer to any services we offer, including all Neighbor web applications, mobile applications, and other software, helpdesk services, beta versions, and the web site accessible at www.neighbor.com and its associated content (collectively, the “Site”) as well as any and all marketing channels where Collective Content may be disseminated in Neighbor’s sole discretion. The terms “you” or “your” refer to the users of the Neighbor Service. The terms “Host” or “Hosting” refer to the person engaged in the act of storing or agreeing to store the Stored Items, and the act of storing or agreeing to store the Stored Items, respectively, in accordance with these Terms and any separate rental agreement entered into between Hosts and Renters, if any. The terms “Renter” or “Renting” refer to the person engaging in a temporary lease of the Host’s Space, and the act of engaging in a temporary lease of the Host’s Space, respectively, in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement as described herein. The term “Space” refers to the area of the Host’s property rented or offered for rental by a Host. The term “Listing” refers to the searchable description advertising the Host’s space as found on this Site or the Services. The term “Stored Items” refer to the property or goods of the Renter that are stored in the Host’s Space. The term “Booking” refers to a confirmed transaction between Host and Renter whereby Renter stores its Property in a Host’s Space. “Member” means a person who completes Neighbor’s account registration process, including, but not limited to Hosts and Renters, as described under “Account Registration” below. “Neighbor Content” means all Content that Neighbor makes available through the Site including any Content licensed from a third party but excluding Member Content. “Member Content” means all Content that a Member posts, uploads, publishes, submits or transmits to be made available through the Site. Member Content may include user profiles and biographical information. “Collective Content” means Member Content and Neighbor Content. “Content” means text, graphics, images, software, audio, video, information or other materials.
Terms Relating to ServiceNeighbor makes available a platform or marketplace with related technology for Renters and Hosts to meet online and arrange for Bookings of storage including, but not limited to, basements, garages, attics, closets, sheds, storage units, driveways, parking spots or other Space. Neighbor is not an owner or operator of properties, nor is it a real estate broker. Neighbor does not own, sell, resell, furnish, provide, rent, re-rent, manage and/or control properties. Neighbor’s responsibilities are limited to: (i) facilitating the availability of the Site, Services and its platform, and (ii) serving as the limited agent of each Host for the purpose of accepting payments from Renters on behalf of the Host and, in limited circumstances, to assist in remedying a Renter's Default.
By using the Site or Services you agree to comply with and be legally bound by the terms and conditions of these Terms of Service (“Terms”), whether or not you become a Member, or other registered user of the Services. These Terms govern your access to and use of the Site and Collective Content (defined below), which constitute a binding legal agreement between you and Neighbor and a Renter and Host. If you do not agree to these Terms, you have no right to obtain information from or otherwise continue using the Services, Site or Collective Content. Unauthorized or improper use of the Services or a violation of the Terms set forth herein may result in you being banned from the site and any use of the Services, Site and Neighbor’s platform or other service and may subject you to civil liability and/or criminal penalties.
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT NEIGHBOR IS NOT A PARTY TO ANY AGREEMENTS ENTERED INTO BETWEEN HOSTS AND RENTERS, NOR IS NEIGHBOR A REAL ESTATE BROKER, REAL ESTATE AGENT, INSURER, OR ESCROW AGENT. NEIGHBOR HAS NO CONTROL OVER THE CONDUCT OF HOSTS, RENTERS OR OTHER USERS OF THE SITE AND SERVICES, AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY. ANY AGREEMENT BETWEEN HOSTS AND RENTERS IS BETWEEN THEM ALONE, AND NEIGHBOR WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO ANY SUCH AGREEMENT. YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE TO BECOME FAMILIAR WITH AND ABIDE BY ANY LAW OR OTHER REGULATION THAT RELATES TO THE STORAGE OF CONTENTS (“APPLICABLE LAW”). NEIGHBOR DOES NOT ADVISE ON ISSUES RELATED TO APPLICABLE LAW.
THE SITE AND SERVICES ARE INTENDED TO BE USED TO FACILITATE THE BOOKING OF SPACE. NEIGHBOR CANNOT AND DOES NOT CONTROL THE CONTENT CONTAINED IN ANY LISTING NOR THE CONDITION, LEGALITY OR SUITABILITY OF ANY SPACE. NEIGHBOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR, AND DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL LIABILITY ARISING FROM THE CONTENT OF ANY LISTING OR THE SUITABILITY OF ANY SPACE.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SITE OR SERVICES OR BY DOWNLOADING OR POSTING ANY CONTENT FROM OR ON THE SITE OR THROUGH THE SERVICES, OR BY REFERRING OTHERS, YOU ARE INDICATING THAT YOU HAVE READ, AND THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE REGISTERED WITH THE SITE, APP, OR SERVICES. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, THEN YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO ACCESS OR USE THE SITE SERVICES, OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT. IF YOU ACCEPT OR AGREE TO THESE TERMS ON BEHALF OF A COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO BIND THAT COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY TO THESE TERMS AND, IN SUCH EVENT, “YOU” AND “YOUR” WILL REFER AND APPLY TO THAT COMPANY OR OTHER LEGAL ENTITY, AND ITS SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNORS.
PLEASE NOTE THAT BY ACCESSING THE SITE, UTILIZING THE SERVICES, AND COMPLETING ANY BOOKING FOR A LISTING TO PLACE STORED ITEMS IN A SPACE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THE CREATION OF A LIEN AS DESCRIBED BELOW.
EligibilityYou may view Listings as an unregistered visitor to the Site; however, if you wish to book a Space or create a Listing, you must first become a Member by registering to create a Neighbor Account (defined below). Both unregistered visitors and Members agree to be bound by all of the terms and conditions set forth herein.
The Site is intended solely for persons who are 18 years of age or older. Any access to or use of the Site or Services by anyone under 18 years of age is expressly prohibited. By accessing or using the Site or Services you represent and warrant that you are 18 years of age or older.
Nondiscrimination PolicyNeighbor is, at its core, an open community dedicated to connecting people to improve storage accessibility. Neighbor welcomes and services an incredibly diverse community, drawing together individuals of different cultures, values, and norms. To remain a Member, you are required to comply with all Applicable Laws, whether federal, state, or local, including those relating to diversity and non-discrimination. In addition, Members must comply with the following requirements:
NEIGHBOR HOSTS MAY NOT:
- Decline a Renter based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
- Impose any different terms or conditions based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
- Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any Renter on account of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status.
- Decline to store a Renter’s items based on gender unless the Host shares living spaces (for example, bathroom, kitchen, or common areas) with the Renter.
- Impose any different terms or conditions based on gender unless the Host shares living spaces with the Renter.
- Post any Listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any Renter on account of gender, unless the Host shares living spaces with the Renter.
- Decline a Renter based on any actual or perceived disability.
- Impose any different terms or conditions based on the fact that the Renter has a disability.
- Substitute their own judgment about whether a unit meets the needs of a Renter with a disability for that of the prospective Renter.
- Inquire about the existence or severity of a Renter’s disability, or the means used to accommodate any disability. If, however, a potential Renter raises its disability, a Host may, and should, discuss with the potential Renter whether the Listing meets the potential Renter’s needs.
- Prohibit or limit the use of mobility devices.
- Charge more in storage fees or other fees for Renters with disabilities.
- Post any listing or make any statement that discourages or indicates a preference for or against any Renter on account of the fact that the Renter has a disability.
- Refuse to communicate with Renters through accessible means that are available, including relay operators (for people with hearing impairments) and e-mail (for people with vision impairments using screen readers).
- Refuse to provide reasonable accommodations, including flexibility when Renters with disabilities request modest changes in your house rules, such as bringing an assistance animal that is necessary because of the disability, or using an available parking space near the unit. When a Renter requests such an accommodation, the Host and the Renter should engage in a dialogue to explore mutually agreeable ways to ensure the unit meets the Renter’s needs.
When Renters Are Turned DownHosts should keep in mind that no one likes to be turned down. While a Host may have, and articulate, lawful and legitimate reasons for turning down a potential Renter, it may cause that member of our community to feel unwelcome or excluded. Hosts should make every effort to be welcoming to Renters of all backgrounds. Hosts who demonstrate a pattern of rejecting Renters from a protected class (even while articulating legitimate reasons), undermine the strength of our community by making potential Renters feel unwelcome, and Neighbor may suspend Hosts who have demonstrated such a pattern from the Neighbor platform or use of the Site and/or Services.
1) Account RegistrationIn order to book a Space or create a Listing on the Site, Services or the Neighbor platform, you must register to create an account (“Neighbor Account”) and become a Member. You may register to use the Services directly via the Site as described in this section or via direct email invitation.
As part of the functionality of the Site and Services, you may link your Neighbor Account with Third Party Accounts, by either: (i) providing your Third Party Account login information to Neighbor through the Site or Services; or (ii) allowing Neighbor to access your Third Party Account, as is permitted under the applicable terms and conditions that govern your use of each Third Party Account. You represent that you are entitled to disclose your Third Party Account login information to Neighbor and/or grant Neighbor access to your Third Party Account (including, but not limited to, for use for the purposes described herein), without breach by you of any of the terms and conditions that govern your use of the applicable Third Party Account and without obligating Neighbor to pay any fees or making Neighbor subject to any usage limitations imposed by such third party service providers. By granting Neighbor access to any Third Party Accounts, you understand that Neighbor will access, make available and store (if applicable) any Content that you have provided to and stored in your Third Party Account (“SNS Content”) so that it is available on and through the Site and Services via your Neighbor Account and Neighbor Account profile page. Unless otherwise specified in these Terms, all SNS Content, if any, will be considered to be Member Content for all purposes of these Terms. Depending on the Third Party Accounts you choose and subject to the privacy settings that you have set in such Third Party Accounts, personally identifiable information that you post to your Third Party Accounts will be available on and through your Neighbor Account on the Site and Services. Please note that if a Third Party Account or associated service becomes unavailable or Neighbor’s access to such Third Party Account is terminated by the third party service provider, then SNS Content will no longer be available on and through the Site and Services. You have the ability to disable the connection between your Neighbor Account and your Third Party Accounts, at any time, by accessing the “Settings” section of the Site.
YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR THIRD PARTY ACCOUNTS IS GOVERNED SOLELY BY YOUR AGREEMENT(S) WITH SUCH THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS.
Neighbor makes no effort to review any SNS Content for any purpose, including but not limited to, for accuracy, legality or non-infringement and Neighbor is not responsible for any SNS Content.
We will create your Neighbor Account and your Neighbor Account profile page for your use of the Site and Services based upon the personal information you provide to us or that we obtain via a Third Party Account as described above. You may not have more than one (1) active Neighbor Account. You agree to provide accurate, current and complete information during the registration process and to update such information to keep it accurate, current and complete. Neighbor reserves the right to suspend or terminate your Neighbor Account and your access to the Site and Services without cause or notice. Some possible reasons for termination include but are not limited to: (1) if you create more than one Neighbor Account; (2) if any information provided during the registration process or thereafter proves to be inaccurate, not current or incomplete; and (3) breach of these Terms. Termination of an account may result in forfeiture and destruction of all information associated with such account. All provisions of these Terms that, by their nature, should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, limitations of liability, and indemnity.
You are responsible for safeguarding your password. You agree that you will not disclose your password to any third party and that you will take sole responsibility for any activities or actions under your Neighbor Account, whether or not you have authorized such activities or actions. You will immediately notify Neighbor of any unauthorized use of your Neighbor Account by emailing email@example.com.
2) Renter InformationIt is the Host’s sole right to check the Renter’s background, credit history and/or criminal history and refuse to rent to Renter, or terminate Renter’s Booking of the Host’s Space, as the case may be, upon receipt of such information. Neighbor reserves the right, but has no obligation, to perform these same background, criminal history or credit checks but will not take responsibility for them and you hereby release and hold Neighbor harmless from any and all liability resulting from Host’s performance or failure to perform, such checks, or from Hosts actions upon receiving background information on Renter. You hereby expressly agree to Neighbor’s use of a third-party service to perform a reasonable background check, in Neighbor’s discretion, for the purposes of these Terms and your use of the Site and Services.
NEIGHBOR RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION, TO DENY ANY HOST OR RENTER SERVICE BASED ON THE RESULTS OF A BACKGROUND CHECK.
3) Change of Renter InformationRenter agrees to immediately notify Host of changes in Renter’s email address, mailing address, phone number or other contact information. A change of address will not be effective unless the new address is complete and is reported via the Neighbor Site. Notice of a change of Renter’s or Host’s phone numbers may be made orally or via the Neighbor Site. Renter is strongly encouraged to keep Host informed of any anticipated changes that may affect the terms of storage.
ListingsAs a Member, you may create Listings. To this end, you will be asked a variety of questions about the Space to be listed, including, but not limited to, the location, capacity, size, features, availability of the Space and pricing and related rules and financial terms. In order to be featured in Listings via the Site and/or Services, all Space must have a valid physical address. Listings will be made publicly available via the Site and Services. Other Members will be able to book your Space via the Site and Services based upon the information provided in your Listing. You understand and agree that once a Renter requests a Booking of your Space, the price for such Booking may not be altered.
You acknowledge and agree that you are responsible for any and all Listings you post. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that any Listing you post and the Booking of, or Renter’s use of, a Space in a Listing you post (i) will not breach any agreements you have entered into with any third parties, (ii) you own, license, or otherwise have all necessary rights to occupy or rent the Space, and (iii) will (a) be in compliance with all applicable laws, tax requirements, and rules and regulations that may apply to any Space included in a Listing you post, including, but not limited to, zoning laws and laws governing rentals of residential and other properties and (b) not conflict with the rights of third parties. Please note that Neighbor assumes no responsibility for a Host’s compliance with any applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Neighbor reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to remove or disable access to any Listing for any reason, including Listings that Neighbor, in its sole discretion, considers to be objectionable for any reason, in violation of these Terms or otherwise harmful to its community or the Site or Services.
You understand and agree that Neighbor does not act as an insurer or as a contracting agent for you as a Host. If a Renter requests a Booking of your Space and stores Stored Items in or uses your Space, any agreement you enter into with such Renter is between you and the Renter and Neighbor is not a party thereto. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Neighbor serves as the limited authorized agent of the Host for the purpose of accepting payments from Renters on behalf of the Host and is responsible for transmitting such payments to the Host and in limited circumstances to assist Hosts in remedying a Renter's Default.
When you create a Listing, you may also choose to include certain requirements and list prohibited items which must be met by the Members who are eligible to request a Booking of your Space, including, but not limited to, requiring Members to have a profile picture, connected Facebook account or other SNS account or verified phone number in order to book your Space. Any Member wishing to book Space included in Listings with such requirements must meet these requirements. More information on how to set such requirements is available via the “Hosting” section of the Site and/or Services. If a Host misrepresents a Space or otherwise provides inaccurate or incomplete information about a Space in a Listing, (a) Neighbor may, in its sole discretion, determine if and the extent to which the applicable Renter is entitled to a refund and (b) the Host Guarantee (as defined below) is void with respect to such Listing. Neighbor, in its sole discretion, may (i) refuse to pay Host amounts refunded to Renter, (ii) withhold current or future Space Fees, (iii) otherwise charge Host, or (iv) seek all legal remedies against Host for Host's violation of this provision or otherwise of these Terms.
If you are a Host, Neighbor makes certain tools available to you to help you to make informed decisions about which Members you choose to confirm for Booking for your Space. You acknowledge and agree that, as a Host, you are responsible for your own acts and omissions and are also responsible for the acts and omissions of any individuals who reside at or are otherwise present at the Space at your request or invitation, excluding the Renter (and the individuals the Renter invites to the Space, if applicable).
Booking and Financial Terms
1) HostsIf you are a Host and a Booking is requested for your Space via the Site or Services, you will be required to either approve or decline the Booking within 48 hours of when the Booking is requested (as determined by Neighbor in its sole discretion) or the Booking request will be automatically declined. When a Booking is requested via the Site or Services, we will share with you (i) the first and last name of the Renter who has requested the Booking, (ii) a disclosure of the items that the Renter wishes to store, (iii) the start and end dates of the requested Booking period and (iiii) a link to the Renter’s Neighbor Account profile page. If you are unable to confirm or decide to decline a Booking of a Space within such 48-hour period, any amounts collected by Neighbor for the requested Booking will be refunded to the applicable Renter’s credit card and any pre-authorization of such credit card will be released. When you confirm a Booking requested by a Renter, Neighbor will send you an email or text message or other method of notification confirming such Booking, depending on the selections you make via the Site and Services. After a Booking is approved, if a Renter wishes to store additional items or remove items, you will receive a notification via the Site or Services. Inaction on your (the Host’s) part to question or dispute the changes within seventy-two (72) hours will be interpreted as you delivering authorization for these changes.
The fees displayed in each Listing are comprised of the Space Fees (defined below), the Service Fees (defined below), and the Processing Fees (defined below). Where applicable, taxes may be charged in addition to the Space Fees, Service Fees, and Processing Fees. The Space Fees, the Service Fees, the Processing Fees and applicable taxes are collectively referred to in these Terms as the “Total Fees”. The amounts due and payable by a Renter solely relating to a Host’s Space are the “Space Fees”. Please note that it is the Host and not Neighbor, which determines the Space Fees. Space Fees may also include applicable state or county parking and storage taxes. The Host will be responsible for paying the Processing Fees in full. You authorize Neighbor to deduct a sum from the Space Fees to cover the Processing Fees. You also authorize Neighbor to deduct a sum from the Space Fee or bill your account in the event of damage or theft of Stored Items as contemplated under “Damage to Stored Items” and “Theft of Stored Items” below, if applicable.
2) RentersYou agree to pay Neighbor the Total Fees for any Booking requested in connection with your Neighbor Account if the applicable Host confirms such requested Bookings. In order to establish a Booking pending the applicable Host’s confirmation of your requested Booking, you understand and agree that Neighbor, on behalf of the Host, reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to (i) obtain a pre-authorization via your credit card for the Total Fees or (ii) charge your credit card a nominal amount, not to exceed one dollar ($1), to verify your credit card. Once Neighbor receives confirmation of your Booking from the applicable Host, Neighbor will collect the Total Fees in accordance with these Terms and the pricing terms set forth in the applicable Listing. You also authorize Neighbor to collect additional fees in the event of damage to the Host’s property or Space or Renter default as contemplated under “Damage to Host’s Property or Space” and “Renter Default” below, if applicable. Please note that Neighbor cannot control any fees that may be charged to a Renter by its bank related to Neighbor’s collection of the Total Fees, and Neighbor disclaims all liability in this regard.
You agree to disclose the items you wish to store upon requesting a Booking. You further agree to disclose the name and contact information of any person or entity that has a lien or other security interest in the items you wish to store. If you wish to store additional items or remove items after completing a Booking, you agree to disclose those changes via the Site or Services, including changes related to any person or entity holding a lien or other security interest in the Stored Items. You acknowledge and agree that both Neighbor and the Host are not liable for undisclosed items and you accept liability for any damages caused to the Host’s space or property by any undisclosed items.
3) Renter Access to SpaceIn the Listing the Host agrees to provide the times that the Renter may access Stored Items. In some cases, Host may provide Renter with means for unlimited access. Renter must contact Host at least 24 hours in advance to request access unless otherwise specified in written agreement between the Host and Renter. Unless otherwise noted in the Listing, the Host must provide reasonable access to the Space upon request from the Renter and communicate with the Renter in a timely manner.
The Host is not required to transport or otherwise handle the Stored Items. If a Host transports or handles the Stored Items, the Host does so at its own risk. Renters should not leave keys to their vehicle with the Host. If keys to a Renter’s vehicle are provided to the Host, the Renter does so at its own risk.
4) Space Move-Out DutiesAt or before the end of the Booking period for the Space, Renter must vacate the Space completely. Renter must remove all contents and debris. Renter must leave the Space in good “broom clean” condition. Renter may be subject to additional costs and fees as detailed in the Collection section below if Renter fails to leave the Space in good condition. Except as otherwise detailed in these Terms, once the Renter has removed all Stored Items and left the Space in the condition required, and its Booking has been canceled, Renter no longer has any right to access or take possession of the Space.
5) Host Space Fee CollectionHosts acknowledge that Space Fees will be directly deposited into their bank accounts, net of Service Fees and Processing Fees. Furthermore, Hosts acknowledge that they are required to provide correct bank account information in order to receive payment. Hosts also acknowledge that they are responsible for registering and filing any applicable state or county parking or storages taxes. Neighbor is neither responsible nor liable for notifying, collecting or paying any such taxes. Hosts agree to never insist, ask, or insinuate to a Renter that he or she pay any or all of the Space Fees directly to Host, and Host agrees to never accept payment made directly to Host with a check, cash, or any payment method other than by payment through Neighbor. Renters also agree to never ask a Host to receive any or all of the Space Fees directly, and Renter agrees to never make payment directly to Host. If a Host or Renter violates this prohibition, Neighbor may immediately cancel the Host or Renter’s account, they will remain liable for the Space Fees, and they authorize Neighbor to deduct a sum from the Space Fee or bill their account for $200 to partially compensate for administrative costs and not as a penalty and such deduction shall not limit Neighbor from pursuing any other remedy to which it is entitled hereunder or pursuant to Applicable Law. Any dispute and/or litigation between Renters and Hosts regarding direct payments in violation of this section shall be between Hosts and Renters exclusively and shall not name Neighbor.
6) FeesNeighbor charges a fee to Renters based upon a percentage of applicable Space Fees, which are referred to herein as “Service Fees”. The standard Service Fee is set forth in the documentation communicated to Renters at the time they receive a confirmed Booking and may change from time to time after notice to Renters. The Service Fees are added to the Space Fees to calculate the Total Fees. Except as otherwise provided herein, Service Fees are non-refundable. Processing Fees are to cover the merchant services and direct deposit or ACH processing that Neighbor uses to process payments.
If the Booking period is one (1) month or less, Neighbor will collect from Renter the Total Fees at the time of Booking confirmation (i.e. when the Host confirms the Booking within 48 hours of the Booking request) and will initiate payment of the Space Fees to the Host after the Booking period is over. Additional fees may be charged for Renter’s delayed removal of Stored Items. If the Booking period exceeds one (1) month, or if the one-month rental period is extended (by agreement between Renter and Host, or by Renter’s failure to remove Stored Items), Renters will be charged applicable fees on a recurring basis each month of the Booking period, referred to herein as Recurring Payments. Neighbor will collect Total Fees and initiate payment of Space Fees net of Processing Fees to Host at the end of the applicable rental period (i.e., each month). If Recurring Payments apply to your payment obligations for Total Fees owed for a Booking, you authorize Neighbor, on behalf of the Host, to collect the Total Fees in the increments and at the frequency associated with the applicable Recurring Payments, identified on the Site and Services. The Site does not allow for Booking periods of less than one month and therefore no pro-rations of monthly fees are available. By placing a reservation through the Services, a Renter agrees that all charges processed through this Site are deemed in accordance with these Terms. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Renter may dispute any charges for a period of thirty (30) days after a charge is made. Any such dispute must be in writing. If a Renter does not dispute a charge within thirty (30) days, said Renter waives any argument that a charge was made in error or in violation of these Terms. Renter must clearly and convincingly prove that any disputed charge is in error or otherwise in violation of these Terms. If Neighbor or a Host continue to challenge a timely disputed charge, a Renter may seek available legal remedies pursuant to the Arbitration section below.
7) Guaranteed PaymentsNeighbor offers Hosts a limited guarantee of payment as further set forth in this section (the “Guarantee”). When a Booking is confirmed, and payment for the first month is validated, Neighbor guarantees that in subsequent months, should a Renter default on all or a portion of Total Fees, Neighbor will compensate a Host for up to two months of Space Fees, net of Services Fees and Processing Fees. Additional information may be required by Neighbor in connection with the Guarantee, and Host must comply with Neighbor’s requests for such information in a timely manner for Guarantee to apply. If a Renter is successful in pursuing a dispute with its bank for charges resulting from a Neighbor reservation or pursuant to Section 6 (Fees) above, such payments will not be subject to the Guarantee and may be reclaimed by Neighbor. Any eviction shall be handled in accordance with the Eviction section below.
8) Cancellations and Refunds
Renter CancellationIt is the responsibility of the Renter, not the Host, to cancel a Booking once the Renter has removed the Stored Items from the Space. Renters must visit their My Rentals page to cancel their Booking and all future payments will be stopped effective immediately. Renters are not eligible for a refund nor a prorated amount if they store for less than the standard rental month. In addition, the following provisions apply to cancellation by a Renter:
- If a Renter cancels a Booking less than 24 hours after approval and/or more than three days before the start date, the Renter is eligible for a 100% refund of the Listing price and the Service Fee. Neighbor may, in its sole discretion, halt or otherwise withhold payouts to Hosts to cover a refund to Renter if Renter timely cancels a Booking.
- If a Renter cancels a Booking less than three days before the start date, the Renter is eligible for an 80% refund of the Listing price and will be refunded 0% of the Service Fee.
Host CancellationIf a Host needs to cancel a Booking before the Renter stores its belongings, the Renter will receive a full refund and the Neighbor Customer Support team is available to help the Renter find an alternative storage space.
If for some reason a Host needs to terminate a Booking after the Renter has stored its Stored Items with no default by Renter, the Host is required to provide 30 days’ notice to the Renter. If an extreme situation requires a Host to deny a Renter’s right to possess a Space with less than 30 days’ notice, the Renter will receive a full refund (minus Service Fees) of the most recent rental month and the Host will not receive the most recent month’s Space Fees and will be charged a $60 termination fee.
Hosts who repeatedly cancel Bookings may be subject to additional charges, including removal from the Neighbor community and suspension of use of the Site and Services.
9) TaxesYou understand and agree that you are solely responsible for determining your applicable tax reporting requirements in consultation with your tax advisors. Neighbor cannot and does not offer tax-related advice to any Members of the Site and Services. Additionally, please note that each Host is responsible for determining local indirect taxes and for including any applicable taxes to be collected or obligations relating to applicable taxes in Listings.
10) DiscountsYou understand and agree that any discount will only be applicable if you have not previously rented a space on the Neighbor platform. Discounts are only available for Bookings longer than one month - if the Renter receives a discount and the Booking is canceled before it is charged for a second month, the Renter will be charged for the amount of the first month’s discount.
11) Contractual LienAny Renter accessing the Site, utilizing the Services, and completing any Booking for a Listing to place Stored Items in a Space, agrees and consents to the creation of a lien on the Stored Items and any other personal property stored in the Space in favor of Neighbor and the applicable Host ("Lien"). The Lien attaches to the Stored Items and all personal property stored in the Space the moment you place or otherwise move the Stored Items and said personal property to the Space and stays attached to the Stored Items and all personal property stored at the Space until the Booking is terminated, and Renter has fully paid the Total Fees and any other fees associated with the Booking. You acknowledge that the purpose of this Lien is to secure payment of all debts associated with the Booking and the storage of Stored Items and all personal property in the Space, including but not limited to the Total Fees.
Neighbor may, in its sole discretion, enforce the Lien by taking any action listed in the Neighbor's Remedies section below, after Renter is in Default for a period of sixty (60) consecutive days.
Damage to Property TermsRenters and Hosts are solely responsible for the contractual relationship between them, if any, outside of these Terms, and they agree not to involve Neighbor in any dispute between them, except as these Terms expressly require Neighbor to be involved. In addition, they are responsible to provide their own insurance to cover damages that may occur to the Host’s property or to the Stored Items the Renter stores with the Host.
As of December 13, 2021, we are discontinuing the former "secondary guarantee" (of up to $25,000 for a Renter's applicable losses). However, all Renters that have a current and valid Booking on the Site or otherwise through the Services as of December 13, 2021 are eligible for claims under the "secondary guarantee" until March 31, 2022. After March 31, 2022, we will completely discontinue the "secondary guarantee" for all Renters. Current Renters may also purchase a Property Protection Plan before March 31, 2022. If current Renters do not agree with the discontinuation of the "secondary guarantee," such Renters may terminate any Booking as required in these Terms.
Any Renter that is new to the Services or that does not have a current or valid Booking as of December 13, 2021 are not eligible for the former "secondary guarantee" and may purchase a Property Protection Plan, the terms of which are described below.
1) Renter's Property Protection PlanThe Neighbor Protection Plan program is offered by Neighbor to certain Renters located within the United States. If you purchased a valid Renter's Property Protection Plan (a "Protection Plan"), this section sets out the terms and conditions of your Protection Plan, effective as of the date of purchase of your Protection Plan ("Plan Effective Date"). Your Protection Plan is for the sole benefit of you, the Renter, and applies only to the Stored Items for which a valid Protection Plan is purchased.
The Protection Plan provides protection for and services related to certain damages to Stored Items sustained during your rental and use of the Neighbor platform.
The Protection Plan program is not insurance. It provides the contractual services described in these terms in consideration of a fee that is payable by you. The Protection Plan program is limited and available only to those Renters who are valid users of the Neighbor platform.
You are not required to purchase a Protection Plan in order to use the Neighbor platform. The Protection Plan may be duplicative of any insurance coverage you already carry. You should consult with your insurance agent regarding any questions you may have related to any insurance coverage you may carry or wish to obtain.
PROTECTION PLAN REIMBURSEMENTSubject to the applicable limitations, exclusions and conditions below, Neighbor agrees to reimburse you for the reasonable repair, replacement, or fair market value costs of direct physical damage to or theft of your Stored Items (defined below) (“Loss” or “Losses”). To be eligible for reimbursement under a Protection Plan, the Stored Items must be properly stored in accordance with these Terms. You must comply with all of the requirements and conditions of your Protection Plan in order to be eligible to receive any reimbursement for Losses.
In addition to the other terms and exclusions contained below, your Protection Plan is subject to the Protection Plan limit (your “Plan Limit”) and 10% deductible (your “Deductible”) as chosen by you at the time of purchase of your Protection Plan and as stated on your account or your receipt.
In the event of a Loss, the amount payable by Neighbor will be the amount in excess of your Deductible. In addition, no amount will be payable under these Protection Plan Terms unless and until the aggregate amount of all claimed Losses exceeds (i) $100 for Protection Plans with a Plan Limit in excess of $1000, or (ii) $50 for Protection Plans with a Plan Limit less than $1000.
PROTECTION PLAN EXCLUSIONSLosses do not include, and Neighbor will not provide reimbursement for (whether in the form of the cost of parts, labor, replacement, indemnification or otherwise), any of the following:
- Damage to property stored in or caused by a violation by you of the Terms.
- Prohibited items as described in our Terms, including but not limited to cash, securities, jewelry, artwork, and collectibles (the storage of any prohibited items disqualifies ALL other Stored Items from protection under any Protection Plan).
- Stored Items with pre-existing design faults or that have been abused, tampered with, or damaged prior to the Plan Effective Date.
- Damage that is covered by any other warranty or service contract, insurance policy, or product recall.
- Damage to property that (a) has missing or altered serial or identification numbers, or (b) has been used, or is being used, in a commercial or industrial setting.
- Damage to or loss of property from theft, vandalism, misdemeanor, or other criminal act unless a police report has been filed in a timely manner, a copy of which has been provided to Neighbor, that specifically itemizes the damage to or loss of the Stored Items.
- Property stored outdoors without the use of a reasonable anti-theft device (e.g., hitch lock, tire boot, steering wheel lock).
- Property not properly registered or insured, as applicable, according to applicable laws.
- Accidental damage due to the shipping, handling, or transportation of the Stored Items (e.g., move-in or move-out of the reserved space), including drops, spills, or liquid damage.
- Damage resulting or arising from your gross negligence, willful misconduct, or intentional damage, or your misuse or abuse of the property.
- Damage resulting or arising from normal wear and tear, pre-existing conditions, recall, violation of applicable ordinances or laws, utility services, acts of God, earth movement of any type including, but not limited to, earthquake, eruption, landslide, erosion, sinking, shifting, settling, cracking or contracting of the earth, wildfire, storm, hail, flooding, surface water, waves, tidal water or overflow or other substance overflow, or any governmental, war or military action or action by any governmental or civil authority, riot or civil unrest, nuclear threats or actions, or virus or bacteria.
- Damage or claims based on your fraud or misrepresentation.
- Damage or claims as a result of, or occurring after, not strictly following Neighbor’s dispute resolution process as defined in our Terms.
- Damages or losses arising from Renter’s failure to comply with any applicable law or ordinance, or Renter’s violation of law, criminal acts, or misdemeanors.
- Fines, penalties, or loss of income or use of any Stored Items.
CLAIMS REPORTING AND CONDITIONSEach claim for a Loss must be supported by sufficient documentation of ownership and value (e.g., photos, receipts, police reports, insurance information) which will need to be provided to us within the Reporting Period (defined below) and as part of the claims resolution process in accordance with our general Terms.
For all Losses occurring as a result of a third party violation of law, criminal act, theft, or misdemeanor and for which you are filing a claim, you must first file a police report describing the circumstances of the Loss and listing on such report each item of Stored Items for which you have a claim, and provide Neighbor with a copy of such report, certified by you as true and correct. You may be asked to provide Neighbor with proof of ownership of, or legal responsibility for, the Stored Items in the form of receipts, photographs, videos, documents or other customary forms of proof (including, but not limited to, appraisal or valuation forms or notices addressed to you) certified by you as true and correct and reasonably acceptable to Neighbor.
All claims must be reported to Neighbor in writing by filling out the claims intake form or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 2500 Executive Pkwy, Suite 400, Lehi, UT 84043 within 14 days of the date of discovery of damage (the “Claims Notice Period”). Following the Claims Notice Period, you will have 60 days to submit requested copies of any documentation, photos, receipts or reports to Neighbor (the “Reporting Period”). Any claim reported outside of the Claims Notice Period, or any documentation, photos, receipts or reports not submitted to Neighbor within the Reporting Period, may be denied by Neighbor and your claim may be considered terminated or resolved at Neighbor’s sole discretion.
PLAN PAYMENTS & TERMINATIONYou may be required to make additional payments for your Protection Plan, plus any applicable taxes, as stated at the time of enrollment in the Protection Plan (the “Plan Service Fee”). If you fail to make a payment when due for any reason, we may terminate your Protection Plan as set forth below and we reserve the right to deem you ineligible for any Losses previously incurred, ongoing, or occurring thereafter.
We may immediately, and without notice, terminate your Protection Plan in its entirety, or terminate its applicability to any specific Stored Items for violation of the Terms. We may terminate the Protection Plan for convenience by providing you with five (5) days prior written notice of termination. You may terminate your Protection Plan by either (a) providing us with 30 days’ advance written notice of termination at our contact information below, or (b) terminating your rental or Booking in accordance with these Terms.
PLAN LIMITATIONSIn addition to any other limits or exclusions contained in your Protection Plan (including the applicable Deductible), Neighbor’s maximum liability for any Losses, by themselves or in the aggregate, including without limitation for repair or replacement costs of your Stored Items, under your Protection Plan (the “Plan Limit”) is limited to the reasonable fair market value of your Stored Items, and no stacking or combining of Plan Limits is allowed.
2) Host Responsibility for Damage to PropertyIn the event that the Host is found responsible for damages to the Stored Items as outlined in the cases above, the Host authorizes Neighbor, in its sole discretion, to determine the amount to be charged to the Host and paid to the Renter, except in cases exceeding $1,000 in damages (as determined by Neighbor), which will then be determined by professional arbitration (see “Arbitration” below) between the Host and Renter. The Host agrees to pay associated arbitration fees in the cases where the Host is found responsible for damage to Renter’s Stored Items. To avoid disputes, Hosts are encouraged to record the initial state of the Stored Items. Neighbor may, in its sole discretion, halt or withhold Host payouts due to such Host's misconduct (including without limitation breach of these Terms).
Theft of Stored ItemsAfter a formal claim is submitted by the Renter to Neighbor with a copy of a filed police report, the Host agrees to compensate the Renter for lost or stolen Stored Items, unless a (i) police report is filed and the police determine that there is evidence of forcible or unlawful entry into the Host’s Space; or (ii) the Renter is found to have made unauthorized visits to the Space or unauthorized changes to the Stored Items, resulting in lost or stolen items. Except in the above outlined cases, the Host authorizes Neighbor to determine the amount to be charged to the Host, if any, except in cases exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000) in damages (as determined by Neighbor), which will then be determined by professional arbitration (see “Arbitration” below) between the Host and Renter. The Host agrees to pay associated arbitration fees in the event of lost or stolen Stored Items except in the cases outlined above.
No EndorsementNeighbor does not endorse any Members or any Space. You are responsible for determining the suitability of others who you contact or contact you via the Site and Services. Neighbor will not be responsible for any damage or harm resulting from your interactions with other Members.
By using the Site or Services, you agree that any legal remedy or liability that you seek to obtain for actions or omissions of other Members or other third parties will be limited to a claim against the particular Members or other third parties who caused you harm and you agree not to attempt to impose liability on, or seek any legal remedy from Neighbor with respect to such actions or omissions. Accordingly, we encourage you to communicate directly with other Members on the Site and/or Services regarding any Bookings or Listings made by you.
Use of Space and Prohibited ItemsRENTER AGREES NOT TO USE THE SPACE FOR ANY UNLAWFUL PURPOSE. THE SPACE IS TO BE USED BY RENTER ONLY FOR STORAGE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY. USE OF THE SPACE FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN FOR LAWFUL STORAGE OF PERSONAL ITEMS IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED. STORAGE OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED (EACH IS A “PROHIBITED ITEM”):
- EXPLOSIVES, FUEL, HAZARDOUS OR FLAMMABLE MATERIALS
- PESTICIDES OR OTHER TOXIC CHEMICALS
- WASTE OF ANY KIND
- FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION
- DRUGS OR ANY ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES OR GOODS
- STOLEN GOODS OR OTHER CONTRABAND
- PERISHABLE FOOD ITEMS, SPOILED FOOD, LIVING OR DECEASED ANIMALS, INFESTED ITEMS, OR MOLDY ITEMS
- ANY ITEM THAT EMITS FUMES OR A STRONG ODOR
- ANY OTHER ITEMS SPECIFICALLY IDENTIFIED BY THE HOST ON THE LISTING AS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED
- ANY OTHER ITEMS, THE POSSESSION, USAGE, TRANSPORT OR STORAGE OF WHICH MAY VIOLATE IN ANY WAY APPLICABLE LAWS, RULES, OR REGULATIONS
Upon breach, or Host’s reasonable suspicion of breach, of these Terms, the Renter agrees that the Host has the right to immediately terminate the Booking and to ask Renter to remove the Stored Items from the Host’s premises. Host shall provide reasonable notice and opportunity for Renter to cure such breach or otherwise remove such Stored Items. If Renter does not cure its breach or remove such Stored Items upon reasonable notice and opportunity to cure, Host may take all legally permissible actions, in its reasonable discretion, which actions may include, without limitation, forfeiture and disposal of the Stored Items pursuant to applicable law and the provisions of these Terms. Host may also contact law enforcement or other authorities to report illegal activities of Renter. If Host reasonably suspects the storage of items in breach of the above prohibitions, or other illegal activities, the Renter hereby gives permission for authorities to search the Stored Items without a warrant. Renter agrees to release, indemnify, and hold Host and Neighbor harmless from and against any and all liability arising from or relating to the removal or forfeiture of stored property pursuant to these Terms, or the Renter’s breach, including any allegations or investigations relating thereto. Renter shall forfeit all Space Fees and Service Fees and Processing Fees paid up to the date of termination hereunder.
Risk of Personal Injury Due to Host’s NegligenceRenter agrees that the use of the Space is at Renter’s sole risk. Renter agrees that, without limiting any duties of the Host to take reasonable steps to protect Stored Items, Host shall have no liability to Renter or Renter’s invitees for any personal or bodily injury except in the event of Host’s gross negligence or willful misconduct. Renter hereby waives and disclaims any and all claims or causes of action Renter may have against Host, in the event of personal or bodily injury to Renter or Renter’s invitees, except as a result of Host’s gross negligence or willful misconduct.
Host RulesThe Renter, Renter’s employees, agent, family, guests and other invitees agree to comply with Host’s rules and policies and any other rules which are contained in the Listing or otherwise agreed to by Renter. Failure to comply with such rules may result in (i) the Renter being held in Default (as described in the Section “Default by Renter” below) and (ii) the Renter being held liable for damages to the Host’s property or Space.
Default by HostIn addition to the other rights and remedies detailed in these Terms, if Neighbor determines, in its sole discretion, that a Host has or is reasonably believed to have violated these Terms, Neighbor may halt or withhold payouts to such Host until such time that (a) Host has cured the default, or (b) it is determined by clear and convincing evidence that Host was not in violation of these Terms. Neighbor shall give written notice to a Host of an actual or perceived violation of these Terms ("Violation Notice"). Neighbor and Host agree to cooperate and work together in good faith to resolve any such dispute for a period of at least sixty (60) days after the Violation Notice ("Dispute Period"). A Host shall not bring any legal proceeding or enforcement of these Terms under the Arbitration section below until after the Dispute Period.
Default by RenterRenter will be in “Default” if:
- (a) Renter has failed to pay any sum when due under the Listing, or
- (b) Renter has failed to notify Host and Neighbor of a change in Renter’s address, e-mail address, or phone number as required in these terms; or
- (c) Renter has provided false or incorrect information to Host or to Neighbor; or
- (d) Renter has failed to vacate the Space by (i) the end of its Booking period, (ii) the date on which Renter is to vacate as required by the Host, or (iii) the date on which Renter and Host have agreed Renter will vacate the Space; or
- (e) Renter has failed to comply, or upon reasonable suspicion has failed to comply with any other provision of these Terms, or any supplemental rules in the Listing or provided by Host; or
- (f) Renter has violated, or upon reasonable suspicion has violated health, safety or criminal laws on the Host’s property, regardless of whether arrest or conviction has occurred. Failure of Neighbor or Host to enforce any of these Terms shall not constitute waiver of such Term(s).
Neighbor's RemediesIf Renter is in Default, Neighbor shall take reasonable steps to notify Renter of such Default and provide Renter a reasonable opportunity to cure such Default. If Renter fails to cure such Default, after receiving such notice and opportunity to cure, Neighbor may, in addition to any other remedies it may have at law or in equity, exercise one or more of the following remedies:
(a) Deny Renter access to the Space or Renter’s property until such default is cured;
(b) Terminate Renter’s Booking by giving Renter three (3) days’ notice to vacate; and if Renter fails to vacate and Neighbor files an eviction lawsuit, Renter will pay Neighbor’s attorneys’ fees and court costs plus a reasonable judicial eviction charge for Neighbor’s time, inconvenience and overhead for filing the eviction suit;
(c) Collect charges as appropriate and exercise any other remedy allowed by law;
(d) Enforce any lien, whether such lien is statutory or contractual, including the Lien described herein, held by Host or Neighbor, by seizure and disposal (including but not limited to a sale) of all Stored Items and any other personal property in the Space, pursuant these Terms, or applicable laws, rules and regulations, by nonjudicial foreclosure under the Host’s local and state codes, as long as applicable fees have not been paid for a period of 60 consecutive days. Seizure and disposal (including but not limited to a sale) under this subsection (d) will only be for default in paying sums due to Neighbor or otherwise due for any Booking. Neighbor may accept partial payments but only payments in full, including applicable fees and costs, will stop enforcement of Host's or Neighbor's lien, including the Lien. If the Stored Items include one or more vehicles, Renter hereby agrees that Host may, pursuant to applicable laws, rules and regulations, (i) sell such vehicle, or (ii) tow such vehicles or have such vehicles towed by a third party chosen in Neighbor's sole discretion off of Host’s property, if charges have not been paid for a period of 60 consecutive days. Sale of the Stored Items in the Space may be accomplished using an online storage auction, and Renter waives any claims, statutory or otherwise, arising out of any allegation that the online storage auction was contrary to any statutory or common law provision related to disposition of the Stored Items.
(e) Enforce any lien, whether such lien is statutory or contractual, including the Lien described herein, held by Host or Neighbor by seizure and disposal (including but not limited to a sale) of all Stored Items in the Space, pursuant to these Terms, or applicable laws, rules and regulations, by nonjudicial foreclosure under the Host's local and state codes, when a Renter has failed to comply with notice from Host to vacate the space after 60 days or any other period prescribed by applicable law. If the Stored Items include one or more vehicles, Renter hereby agrees that Host may, pursuant to applicable laws, rules and regulations, (i) sell such vehicle, or (ii) tow such vehicles or have such vehicles towed by a third party chosen in Neighbor's sole discretion off of Host’s property, if Renter has not vacated the premises after 60 days' notice or any other period prescribed by applicable law. Sale of the Stored Items in the Space may be accomplished using an online storage auction, and Renter waives any claims, statutory or otherwise, arising out of any allegation that the online storage auction was contrary to any statutory or common law provision related to disposition of the Stored Items.
(f) After seizure, any attempt to reclaim the seized property by Renter without paying in full the sums due Host, including applicable fees, may result in Host pursuing prosecution for such act.
In the event of a Default by a Renter, the Host may not communicate with the Renter or take any action other than to restrict access to the Space. Host must cooperate with Neighbor in any eviction, sale, auction, or other proceeding against a Renter and must provide requested information (e.g., photos of the items) to Neighbor in a timely manner upon request. The Host must also provide access to the Space as requested by Neighbor for the new owner of any contents that have been auctioned to a third party. If the Host fails to comply with these requirements and the failure continues after notice from Neighbor, Host shall be responsible for any eviction, and Neighbor’s obligation with respect to the Guarantee shall be void.
EvictionNeighbor may choose to evict the Renter in cases of “default” as described above in “Default by Renter”. If Neighbor chooses to evict a Renter, Neighbor may follow the procedure as outlined in “Neighbor’s Remedies” above and may charge a $100 eviction fee once Renter fails to cure.
CollectionIf Renter fails to make any applicable payment hereunder, or such payment is denied, returned, refunded, charged-back or invalidated, Neighbor may impose and charge a fee of $25 for each such failed payment and, in addition to such fee, interest will accrue on all such failed and late amounts at a rate of 18% per annum until paid in full (1.5% per month). Neighbor may, in its sole discretion and in accordance with applicable law, refer any collection efforts, including efforts resulting from a violation of the Terms, to a third-party collection agency. In the event of any collection efforts, proceedings or suits related to the collection of any unpaid balance, the Renter further agrees to pay all other (a) costs of collection, (b) costs of removal or disposal of Stored Items, (c) costs of cleaning to restore the Space to its original condition, (d) costs to repair damages made to the Space, (e) court costs and reasonable attorney fees and (f) fees associated with a third-party collection agency, in addition to, the collection fee. The terms of this paragraph shall apply to all amount(s) incurred by Neighbor.
Renter has provided Neighbor certain contact information, including, but not limited to a cell phone number and email address. Renter hereby gives its express consent to Neighbor and its affiliates, agents and service providers to use written, electronic or verbal means to contact Renter. This consent includes, but is not limited to, contact by manual calling methods, prerecorded or artificial voice messages, text messages, emails and/or automatic telephone dialing systems about current or future services available to Renter. Renter may revoke its consent to Neighbor to contact Renter by any of the above-described methods or otherwise restrict permissions as provided in this form by contacting Neighbor by email at email@example.com.
User LiabilityYOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY AND ALL LAWS, RULES, REGULATIONS, AND TAX OBLIGATIONS THAT MAY APPLY TO YOUR USE OF THE SITE, SERVICES AND CONTENT.
In connection with your use of our Site and Services, you may not and you agree that you will not:
- violate any local, state, provincial, national, or other law or regulation, or any order of a court, including, without limitation, zoning restrictions and tax regulations;
- use manual or automated software, devices, scripts robots, other means or processes to access, “scrape”, “crawl” or “spider” any web pages or other services contained in the Site, Services or Content;
- use the Site or Services for any commercial or other purposes that are not expressly permitted by these Terms;
- copy, store or otherwise access any information contained on the Site, Services or Content for purposes not expressly permitted by these Terms;
- infringe the rights of any person or entity, including without limitation, its intellectual property, privacy, publicity or contractual rights;
- interfere with or damage our Site or Services, including, without limitation, through the use of viruses, cancel bots, Trojan horses, harmful code, flood pings, denial-of-service attacks, packet or IP spoofing, forged routing or electronic mail address information or similar methods or technology;
- use our Site or Services to transmit, distribute, post or submit any information concerning any other person or entity, including without limitation, photographs of others without its permission, personal contact information or credit, debit, calling card or account numbers;
- use our Site or Services in connection with the distribution of unsolicited commercial email (“spam”) or advertisements;
- “stalk” or harass any other user of our Site, or Services or collect or store any personally identifiable information about any other user other than for purposes of transacting as a Neighbor Renter or Host;
- offer, as a Host, any Space that you do not yourself own or have permission to rent (without limiting the foregoing, you will not list Space as a Host if you are serving in the capacity of a rental agent or listing agent for a third party);
- offer, as a Host, any accommodation that may not be rented or subleased pursuant to the terms and conditions of an agreement with a third party, including, but not limited to, a property rental agreement;
- register for more than one Neighbor Account or register for a Neighbor Account on behalf of an individual other than yourself;
- contact a Host for any purpose other than asking a question related to a Booking, such Host’s Space or Listings;
- contact a Renter for any purpose other than asking a question related to a Booking or such Renter’s use of the Site and/or Services;
- when acting as a Renter or otherwise, recruit or otherwise solicit any Host or other Member to join third party services or websites that are competitive to Neighbor, without Neighbor’s prior written approval;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsify or otherwise misrepresent yourself or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- use automated scripts to collect information or otherwise interact with the Site or Services;
- use the Site and Services to find a Host or Renter and then complete a Booking of a Space transaction independent of the Site or Services in order to circumvent the obligation to pay any Service Fees and Processing Fees related to Neighbor’s provision of the Services;
- as a Host, submit any Listing with a false or misleading price information, or submit any Listing with a price that you do not intend to honor;
- post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Content that: (i) infringes, misappropriates or violates a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) violates, or encourages any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability; (iii) is fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive; (iv) is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar or offensive; (v) promotes discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment or harm against any individual or group; (vi) is violent or threatening or promotes violence or actions that are threatening to any other person; or (vii) promotes illegal or harmful activities or substances;
- systematically retrieve data or other content from our Site or Services to create or compile, directly or indirectly, in single or multiple downloads, a collection, compilation, database, directory or the like, whether by manual methods, through the use of bots, crawlers, or spiders, or otherwise;
- use, display, mirror or frame the Site, or any individual element within the Site or Services, Neighbor’s name, logo or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without Neighbor’s express written consent;
- access, tamper with, or use non-public areas of the Site Neighbor’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Neighbor’s providers;
- attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any Neighbor system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
- avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble, or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Neighbor or any of Neighbor’s providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Site, Services or Collective Content;
- forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Site, App, Services or Collective Content to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Site, Services or Collective Content; or advocate, encourage, or assist any third party in doing any of the foregoing.
Reporting MisconductIf you rent Space to anyone who you feel is acting or has acted inappropriately, including but not limited to, anyone who: (a) engages in offensive, violent or sexually inappropriate behavior, (b) you suspect of stealing from you, or (c) engages in any other disturbing conduct, you should immediately report such person to the appropriate authorities and to Neighbor by contacting us with your police station and report number at firstname.lastname@example.org; provided that your report will not obligate us to take any action beyond that required by law (if any) or cause us to incur any liability to you.
Termination and Account CancellationWe may, in our discretion and without liability to you, with or without cause, with or without prior notice and at any time: (a) terminate these Terms or your access to our Site and Services, and (b) deactivate or cancel your Neighbor Account. Upon termination we will promptly pay you any amounts we reasonably determine we owe you in our discretion, which we are legally obligated to pay you. In the event Neighbor terminates these Terms, or your access to our Site and Services or deactivates or cancels your Neighbor Account you will remain liable for all amounts due hereunder. You may cancel your Neighbor Account at any time by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that if your Neighbor Account is cancelled, we do not have an obligation to delete or return to you any Content you have posted to the Site and Services, including, but not limited to, any reviews or Feedback you have provided to Neighbor.
DisclaimersIF YOU CHOOSE TO USE THE SITE AND SERVICES YOU DO SO AT YOUR SOLE RISK. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT NEIGHBOR DOES NOT HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO CONDUCT BACKGROUND CHECKS ON ANY MEMBER BUT MAY CONDUCT SUCH BACKGROUND CHECKS IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION. THE SITE AND SERVICES AND ALL CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEIGHBOR EXPLICITLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. NEIGHBOR MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE SITE, SERVICES, COLLECTIVE CONTENT, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE LISTINGS OR ANY SPACE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, VIRUS-FREE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS. NEIGHBOR MAKES NO WARRANTY REGARDING THE QUALITY OF ANY LISTINGS, SPACE, THE SERVICES OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT OR THE ACCURACY, TIMELINESS, TRUTHFULNESS, COMPLETENESS OR RELIABILITY OF ANY COLLECTIVE CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE SITE, OR SERVICES. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED FROM NEIGHBOR OR THROUGH THE SITE, SERVICES OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY MADE HEREIN.
YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SITE OR SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY HOSTS OR RENTERS. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT NEIGHBOR DOES NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPT TO VERIFY THE STATEMENTS OF USERS OF THE SITE OR SERVICES OR TO REVIEW OR VISIT ANY SPACE. NEIGHBOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONDUCT OF USERS OF THE SITE OR SERVICES OR THEIR COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY CURRENT OR FUTURE USERS OF THE SITE OR SERVICES. YOU AGREE TO TAKE REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SITE OR SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, RENTERS AND HOSTS, PARTICULARLY IF YOU DECIDE TO MEET OFFLINE OR IN PERSON REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH MEETINGS ARE ORGANIZED BY NEIGHBOR. NOTWITHSTANDING NEIGHBOR’S APPOINTMENT AS THE LIMITED AGENT OF THE HOSTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF ACCEPTING PAYMENTS FROM RENTERS ON BEHALF OF THE HOSTS, NEIGHBOR EXPLICITLY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITY, OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, FOR ANY ACT OR OMISSION OF ANY RENTER OR OTHER THIRD PARTY.
Limitations of LiabilityYOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE, SERVICES AND COLLECTIVE CONTENT, YOUR LISTING OR BOOKING OF ANY SPACE VIA THE SITE AND SERVICES, AND ANY CONTACT YOU HAVE WITH OTHER USERS OF NEIGHBOR WHETHER IN PERSON OR ONLINE REMAINS WITH YOU. NEITHER NEIGHBOR NOR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SITE, SERVICES OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA OR LOSS OF GOODWILL, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES, OR FOR ANY DAMAGES FOR PERSONAL OR BODILY INJURY OR EMOTIONAL DISTRESS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS, FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, SERVICES OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT, FROM ANY COMMUNICATIONS, INTERACTIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SITE, OR SERVICES OR OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SITE, SERVICES OR FROM YOUR LISTING OR BOOKING OF ANY SPACE VIA THE SITE AND SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT NEIGHBOR HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE, EVEN IF A LIMITED REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
EXCEPT FOR OUR OBLIGATIONS TO PAY AMOUNTS TO APPLICABLE HOSTS PURSUANT TO THESE TERMS OR AN APPROVED PAYMENT REQUEST UNDER THE NEIGHBOR HOST GUARANTEE, IN NO EVENT WILL NEIGHBOR’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS AND YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR SERVICES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FROM YOUR LISTING OR BOOKING OF ANY SPACE VIA THE SITE AND SERVICES, OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, SERVICES, OR COLLECTIVE CONTENT AND IN CONNECTION WITH ANY SPACE OR INTERACTIONS WITH ANY OTHER MEMBERS, EXCEED THE AMOUNTS YOU HAVE PAID OR OWE FOR BOOKINGS VIA THE SITE AND SERVICES AS A RENTER IN THE TWELVE (12) MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO THE LIABILITY, OR IF YOU ARE A HOST, THE AMOUNTS PAID BY NEIGHBOR TO YOU IN THE TWELVE (12) MONTH PERIOD PRIOR TO THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO THE LIABILITY, OR ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100), IF NO SUCH PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE, AS APPLICABLE. THE LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN NEIGHBOR AND YOU. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
IndemnificationYou agree to release, defend, indemnify, and hold Neighbor and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and their officers, directors, employees and agents, harmless from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, arising out of or in any way connected with:
(a) your access to or use of the Site, Services, or Collective Content or your violation or breach of these Terms;
(b) your Member Content;
(c) any injury occurring to any person or property as a result of the use, occupancy, travel to or from, or the entry or exit from, any Space by you;
(d) your (i) interaction with any Member, (ii) Booking of a Space, (iii) creation of a Listing or (iv) the use, condition or rental of a Space by you, including, but not limited to any injuries, losses, or damages (compensatory, direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise) of any kind arising in connection with or as a result of a rental, Booking or use of a Space;
(e) any dispute between you and another user of the Site or Services; and
(f) any infringement or misappropriation of the third party’s rights.
Member ContentWe may, in our sole discretion, permit Members to post, upload, publish, submit or transmit Member Content. By making available any Member Content on or through the Site and Services, you hereby grant to Neighbor a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, view, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content on, through, or by means of the Site and Services.
You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site and/or Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Neighbor the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms; and (ii) neither the Member Content nor your posting, uploading, publication, submission or transmittal of the Member Content or Neighbor’s use of the Member Content (or any portion thereof) on, through or by means of the Site and the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights or other proprietary or intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
LinksThe Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites or resources. You acknowledge and agree that Neighbor is not responsible or liable for: (i) the availability or accuracy of such websites or resources; or (ii) the content, products, or services on or available from such websites or resources. Links to such websites or resources do not imply any endorsement by Neighbor of such websites or resources or the content, products, or services available from such websites or resources. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from your use of any such websites or resources or the Content, products or services on or available from such websites or resources.
ArbitrationYou and Neighbor mutually agree and acknowledge that all claims and disputes arising under or relating to these Terms and Conditions, or the breach, termination, enforcement, or interpretation or validity thereof are to be settled by binding arbitration in Salt Lake City, Utah or another location mutually agreeable to the parties, and not in a court of law. Such arbitration will occur only after you and Neighbor have taken good faith efforts to resolve the dispute and such dispute has failed to be resolved. The arbitration shall be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) and shall be conducted on a confidential basis pursuant to the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the “AAA”.
YOU AND NEIGHBOR BOTH WAIVE THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY IN ALL ARBITRABLE DISPUTES. You and Neighbor also both acknowledge and agree that we are each waiving the right to participating as a plaintiff or class member in any purported class action or representative proceeding in all such disputes. Further, unless You and Neighbor otherwise agree in writing, any arbitration will be conducted on an individual basis and not in a class, collective, consolidated, or representative proceeding.
Any decision or award as a result of any such arbitration proceeding shall be in writing and shall provide an explanation for all conclusions of law and fact and shall include the assessment of costs, expenses, and reasonable attorneys’ fees. Any such arbitration shall be conducted by an arbitrator experienced in the “Sharing Economy,” and shall include a written record of the arbitration hearing. The parties reserve the right to object to any individual who shall be employed by or affiliated with a competing organization or entity. An award of arbitration may be confirmed in a court of competent jurisdiction. The parties shall endeavor to settle any such dispute via good faith negotiation prior to initiating any arbitration proceeding.
Exceptions to this arbitration provision include (i) any claim related to actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation, or violation of a party’s copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights; or (ii) any claim seeking emergency injunctive relief based on exigent circumstances. Any claim in exception to the above agreement to arbitration shall be brought into judicial proceeding in a court of competent jurisdiction in Salt Lake County, Utah.
If any portion of this arbitration provision is found to be unenforceable or unlawful, those unenforceable or unlawful portions shall be severed from these terms. The severance of unenforceable or unlawful portions of this arbitration provision shall not have any impact on the remainder of the arbitration provision, which shall be given full force and effect.
To the extent any disputed matter arising out of or relating to these Terms is deemed to not be subject to these arbitration provisions, such portion of any disputed matter shall be brought exclusively in the federal and state courts located within the State of Utah, and the parties do hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of those courts.
ModificationNeighbor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify the Site or Services or to modify these Terms, including the fees due hereunder at any time and without prior notice. If we modify these Terms, we will post the modification on the Site or update you via the Services, or provide you with notice of the modification. We will also update the “Last Updated Date” at the top of these Terms. By continuing to access or use the Site or Services after we have posted a modification on the Site, you are indicating that you agree to be bound (or continue to be bound) by the modified Terms. If the modified Terms are not acceptable to you, your only recourse is to cease using the Site and Services.
FeedbackWe welcome and encourage you to provide feedback, comments and suggestions for improvements to the Site and Services (“Feedback”). You may submit Feedback by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the “Contact” section of the Site. You acknowledge and agree that all Feedback will be the sole and exclusive property of Neighbor and you hereby irrevocably assign to Neighbor and agree to irrevocably assign to Neighbor all of your right, title, and interest in and to all Feedback, including without limitation all worldwide patent, copyright, trade secret, moral and other proprietary or intellectual property rights therein. At Neighbor’s request and expense, you will execute documents and take such further acts as Neighbor may reasonably request to assist Neighbor to acquire, perfect, and maintain its intellectual property rights and other legal protections for the Feedback.
Copyright Dispute PolicyNeighbor respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is Neighbor’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances the Neighbor Accounts of Members or other account holders who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the rights of third-party copyright holders. If you are a copyright owner, or are authorized to act on behalf of one, please report alleged copyright infringement by submitting the following information to email@example.com along with an electronic or physical signature. Identify the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed, or - if multiple copyrighted works are covered by this Notice - provide a comprehensive list of the copyrighted works that you claim have been infringed. Identify the material that you claim is infringing and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material, including at a minimum, the URL of the link shown where such material may be found. Provide your full name, mailing address, telephone number, and, if available, email address. Include both of the following statements in the body of the Notice:
- “I hereby state that I have a good faith belief that the disputed use of the copyrighted material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law (e.g., as a fair use).”
- “I hereby state that the information in this Notice is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that I am the owner, or authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyright or of an exclusive right under the copyright that is allegedly infringed.”
MiscellaneousThese Terms are the final and complete integration of the parties’ agreement as it relates to the topics addressed in these Terms. If these Terms become subject to any litigation or arbitration, the prevailing party in any such litigation or arbitration will be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys’ fees and court or arbitration costs from the non-prevailing party. Neighbor will not be deemed to have waived any portion of these Terms because of its delay or other failure to assert its rights under these Terms, unless the waiver is in writing and signed by Neighbor.
For the avoidance of doubt, your participation in any referral program, contest, or similar program or offering of Neighbor will additionally be governed by the terms and policies of such program, contest or offering. Neighbor’s current referral program and contest terms are located at: https://help.neighbor.com/en_us/referral-program-overview-and-rules-SkEsDA8AO.