For those who love traveling, learning to love traveling alone often becomes a necessity. While trotting around the globe with friends, partners, and family is fun; there is also something to be said for experiencing the world’s greatest destinations for yourself.
When done right, going solo can be one of the most rewarding and memorable ways to travel. If you are thinking of taking a trip by yourself, here are some of the best places to travel alone.
What to Know About Traveling By Yourself
But first, let’s cover some of the basics. Traveling by yourself can be nerve-racking. You need to figure everything out for yourself and, depending on where you go, may even need to watch out for getting robbed or mugged. While you shouldn’t let a movie like ‘Taken’ turn you into a homebody, there is something to be said for keeping your wits about you and following a few simple rules, including:
- Make sure at least one person back home knows what you are doing and where you are going.
- Check-in with friends or family once in a while to let them know how and where you are.
- Make and bring a copy of your passport, social security card, and other important information just in case the originals get lost or stolen.
Best Places to Travel Alone
In no specific order, here are 14 of the best places to travel alone:
1. Rome, Italy
Rome, the Eternal City, is one of the best places to travel by yourself for many reasons. First, if you are an art or history buff, there is more to do in Rome than you can imagine. It seems every building in a great city was designed by a master architect. Some of the other historical sites:
· The Colosseum: Speaking to the incredible abilities of Roman engineers, the Colosseum is still standing at over 2,000 years old. Visit the iconic spot to experience first-hand what it might have felt like to be in ancient Rome watching gladiators, lions, and even mock naval battles.
· The Roman Forum: The ruins of the Roman Forum extend across a huge space where you can easily spend several hours exploring all they have to offer.
· The Vatican: While technically its own city, you can and should stop into the Vatican while you stay in Rome. The Vatican has countless museums and art, including Michelangelo’s glorious Sistine Chapel.
Other things to do in Rome:
- Make a wish at the Trevi Fountain
- Climb the Spanish steps
- Eat a luxurious Italian meal at the La Pergola
2. Beaver Creek, Colorado
Beaver Creek, Colorado, is another great place to go solo. Rather than the pricey Aspen or oftentimes crowded Boulder, Beaver Creek has fantastic slopes and plenty of space for alone time. Aside from skiing or snowboarding, Beaver Creek also has the Walking Mountains Science Center, and plenty of bars and lounges to hang out if you end up feeling social.
Other things to do in Beaver Creek:
- Go to the Beaver Creek Resort
- Hike the Beaver Creek Lake Trail
- Go ice skating
3. Seville, Spain
Seville in Spain is one of the best places to travel while alone because the city is so warm and hospitable you don’t need to know anyone to get around or make friends! You can visit Seville year-round for a good time, but one of the more unique times to go is toward the end of April during the “Feria de Abril” festival. During the festival the whole city dresses up like it’s the late 1800s and dance, eat, and drink the night away.
Other things to do in Seville:
- Check out the Seville Cathedral
- Go to the gardens at Real Alcázar
- Watch one of the city’s great Tablaos and Flamenco Shows
4. Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
The so-called “culinary capital of the Caribbean,” Grand Cayman is one of the most popular of the Cayman Islands. The island has plenty to offer those traveling alone, including fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, tons of great restaurants, and several world-class resorts.
Other things to do in Grand Cayman:
- Visit String Ray City
- Relax on Seven Mile Beach
- Visit Pedro St. James to explore the island’s 18th Century architecture
5. Krabi, Thailand
Krabi and Thailand, in general, is one of the best places to travel alone if you enjoy learning new things. Whether Yoga, Mui-Thai fighting, cooking, massage, or just about anything else, Thailand is an educational outpost for those, who travel with purpose.
The reason you might consider Krabi as opposed to one of the country’s more well-known destinations in the city’s pristine waters and amply opportunity for scuba diving and snorkeling. If you don’t know how to do those things, you are in the perfect place to learn!
Other things to do in Krabi:
- Rent or hire a boat and explore crystal waters and unique rock formations
- Go to the Thung Teao Forest Natural Park
- Visit the beautiful Wat Tham Sua
6. Vancouver, Canada
Vancouver, Canada, might not be the first place you think of when you consider the best places to travel alone. But it is! Vancouver is, in fact, a thriving city with plenty to do if you are flying solo.
Other things to do in Vancouver:
- Go to the Museum of Anthropology
- Take your bike to the beautiful Stanley Park
- Go kayaking or canoeing in Deep Cover
7. San Jose, California
Another great California city to travel alone in, San Jose is an energetic city with a lot to do. San Jose has a bustline nightlife as well as plenty of active, group-based activities during the day for the more adventurous traveler.
Other things to do in San Jose:
- Visit the Municipal Rose Garden
- Bar-hop in Downtown San Jose
- Shop on Santana Row
8. San Diego, California
One of California’s most famous cities, San Diego is also one of the best places to travel alone. San Diego is a very busy city with plenty to do during the day and at night. Whether you are surfing, wind sailing, rollerblading, hanging out on the beach, or checking out the nightlife, San Diego is sure to be a good time.
Other things to do in San Diego:
- Go to Comic-Con International
- Visit the world-famous San Diego Zoo
- Visit the mysterious Winchester House
9. Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland in New Zealand is based around two of the country’s largest harbors. It is one of the best places to travel alone because of the most beautiful water-based cities in the world and offers many exciting outdoor adventures. Just outside of Auckland, you can explore beautiful New Zealand landscapes where you can hike, canoe, mountain climb, or more.
Other things to do in Auckland:
- Go bungee jumping
- Visit the Auckland War Memorial Museum
- Head to One Tree Hill
10. Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm is not just one a unique city in Sweden—but, indeed, the world. Stockholm is a city held together by bridges. It literally spans across 14 islands that are all connected by an elaborate bridge system. As you can imagine, this also means much of the transportation in and around Stockholm is water-based. Stockholm is one of the best places to travel alone because of its great nightlife and fun-loving residents. In Stockholm, you will be delightedly caught somewhere between a cobblestone fairytale and a buzzing modern metropolis.
Other things to do in Stockholm:
- Visit the Moderna Museet
- Eat at the Matbaren Brasserie
- Stay at the famed Nobis Hotel
11. Redding, California
Redding, California, is one of the best places to travel alone if you are looking to unplug from your phone and connect with nature. Redding has some of the country’s most beautiful natural areas. And, if you are an active traveler, there is plenty more to do than just looking—you can canoe, fish, hike, and more.
Other things to do in Redding:
- White water raft at in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- Visit the McArthur-Burney Falls
- Fish the Six Rivers National Forest
12. Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam is famous among young travelers as one of the best places to travel alone. Whether you are going for the food, the cafés, the nightlife, or just the cultural experience of going to the Netherlands, you can not go wrong with a trip to Amsterdam.
Other things to do in Amsterdam:
- Visit the Rijksmuseum museum
- Go to Vondelpark
- Eat and shop at Albert Cuyp Market
13. Nashville, Tennessee
You may not expect Nashville, Tennessee, to be one of the best places to travel alone. But the country music capital is actually one of America’s most fun cities. Nashville has excellent music in every bar and a thriving culinary scene as well as nightlife and more.
Other things to do in Nashville:
- Catch a show at the Grand Ole Opry
- Visit the Country Music Hall of Fame
- Check out one of the local dives!
14. Lima, Peru
Lima in Peru is one of the best places to travel alone because it is home to some of the most beautiful natural landscapes and ancient ruins in South America. Also, if you’ve never tried Peruvian food, you are in for a treat! The city of Lima itself is filled with energy as well as historical sites and makes the perfect trip for anyone looking to experience one of the Country’s greatest cities.
Other things to do in Lima:
- Go on a walking tour
- Explore the Malecon
- Go out at night and trying drinking a “Pisco Sour”
Now that you know some of the best places to travel alone, you can explore the world, experience new things, and make new friends around the globe. Bon voyage!